Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Adventures of Bob's Blue Gansey Part 5


This spring Cedar Falls sweater instructor Andrew Barden will be blogging about his sweater designing adventures as he creates a sweater for his father, Bob.  Read Part 1 here Part 2 here, Part 3 here, and Part 4 here.


Usually, knitting ribbing on a sweater’s waistband seems rather tedious to me. I suppose it actually goes a little slower because of changing the yarn from front to back to front. And too, it seems slower because I want to get to the fun of knitting the body and it feels like it takes so long to get started. However, on this project, the ribbing didn’t seem tedious at all. I believe that is because of the cable columns. In every round of knitting I encounter 8 cable columns, and every 6th round involves a cable cross for each cable. That requires just enough of my attention to keep things interesting. Good thing it’s not totally boring, because in ribbing, on US#0 needles, the row gauge is about 16 stitches/inch – 3 inches requires many rounds! After reaching the end of the ribbing I was ready to increase for the body, switch to stockinette stitch and change needle size.

When increasing from ribbing to stockinette stitch, patterns often recommend doing so “in the last row of ribbing.” Most of the time, we want our increases to be as invisible as possible. One good way to do that is to increase using a “bar increase” (“Kfb”), properly positioned. This style of increase leaves a purl bar behind. That works to your advantage if you perform the increase into the last knit stitch before changing to purl. For example, on K2P2 ribbing, the sequence would be “K1,Kfb,P2…” That puts the purl bar in vertical alignment with a column of purl stitches in the ribbing, and makes the increase very hard to see. On this sweater, I also needed to position my increases so they did not disrupt the cable columns. So, I had to chart the position of each increase. The body has 316 stitches/round, increased from 286 stitches/round in the waistband. Note that 286÷31690%, which is a traditional ratio of ribbing to body circumference. While doing the increases, I also changed to US #2 needles. Here is what the transition from ribbing to body looks like:


A traditional gansey has a “plain area” (i.e. stockinette stitch) below the point where the knit/purl patterns begin. On this sweater, the plain area will be 7 inches tall. Also, a traditional gansey often had the wearer’s initials knit into it somewhere. Frequently, the initials appeared on the wearer’s lower left, in the plain area. In her book, Knitting Ganseys, Beth Brown-Reinsel writes that, on a stockinette background, seed stitch initials are easier to read than purl stitch initials. I didn’t believe her, and some years ago I knit my own experiments (I know – those of you who know me are shocked…shocked…to hear did my own test!). And…surprise…she is correct, seed stitch is better. My dad’s initials are RGB. Brown-Reinsel has nicely charted 14-stitch high seed stitch letters in her book, and I choose to use those. I placed “RGB” on Dad’s sweater in 14-stitch high seed stitch letters, beginning about one inch above the ribbing. The cable locations necessitated placing the initials just to the (wearer’s) left of midline. Here is a photo:


Of course, while all this was happening, I kept doing cable crosses every 6 rounds. Next time we will talk about the definition ridge and my choices of knit/purl patterns. Until then, as always, happy knitting!