Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Adventures of Bob's Blue Gansey

As you may recall, Andrew Barden taught a "Design Your Own Sweater" class in our Cedar Falls shop earlier this year, to much success. Now he's sharing his journey as he designs a sweater for his dad, Bob.


Bob’s Blue Gansey, Part 1

My current sweater project could be called “Bob’s Blue Gansey.” I wanted to knit something extravagant for my dad, Bob. I enjoy knitting sweaters, especially in traditional styles, and prefer to design my own projects rather than knitting from someone else’s pattern. I really appreciate the regional, sustainable, responsible approach of Imperial Yarns and was especially drawn to Imperial’s Tracie Too. It is an excellent yarn for a gansey (more on why, below). So, I decided to design and knit a gansey for dad. This series will follow the process of planning, designing and knitting Bob’s sweater.

Fishermen on the coast of Britain historically wore Ganseys. The sweaters had underarm gussets, drop-shoulders, and unshaped necklines. They were usually knitted with “seaman’s iron,” a highly twisted five-play dark navy blue wool yarn, about the weight of our sport yarn. It was knit at a gauge of 7-9 stitches/inch, making a dense fabric, warm and wind resistant. The upper chest and arms of ganseys were typically decorated with knit and purl patterns, sometimes including small, simple cables.

Tracie Too is a 2-ply, worsted spun, sport weight wool yarn. Imperial suggests knitting it at 6.5 stitches/inch using US 4 needles. Using US 2 or 3 needles, I expected 7 or 8 stitches/inch – an excellent substitute for seaman’s iron. For a medium man’s sweater with chest of 39 inches, I estimate I will need about 1320 yards. I purchased 5 skeins of 395 yards/4 oz. – always buy one more than you think you’ll need! I chose a medium blue, “Denim Dusk,” rather than the traditional navy.


I think shaped necklines are far more comfortable than unshaped ones. So, despite tradition, I plan to shape the neckline. I imagine cables running up the front and curving gently outward along the edge of the neck. I wasn't sure which knit/purl patterns would look best. And too, I needed to know my gauge before designing the sweater – there is no avoiding it!

So, I knitted a gauge swatch. I knit it in the round, on circular needles of 2 sizes, using two cast-ons, three kinds of ribbing, five knit/purl patterns, three types of diamonds, a “neckline” shaped differently on each side, and two cables, each of which met the neckline differently.


Here is a photo of my chart for the gauge swatch. It is pretty rough, but needed only to be a guide to keep me oriented and test the questions I had.

 I got most of my ideas from these books (which are available from Crazy Girl):

·         Gibson-Roberts, PA and D Robson. Knitting in the Old Way: Designs & Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters. Nomad Press, Fort Collins, CO. 2004.
·         Brown-Reinsel, B. Knitting Ganseys. Interweave Press, Loveland, CO. 1993.
·         Thompson, G. Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys and Arans: Fishermen’s Sweaters from the British Isles. Dover Publications, New York. 1979.
·         Wright, M. Cornish Guernseys & Knit-frocks. Polperro Heritage Press, Clifton-upon-Teme, UK. 1979.
·         Domnick, S. Cables, Diamonds, Herringbone: Secrets of Knitting Traditional Fishermen’s Sweaters. Down East. 2007.

In Part 2, I will discuss knitting, steeking, blocking and measuring the gauge swatch, and planning, designing, and charting the sweater. There will be more pictures, too.

Knit on!

Andrew Barden