Monday, March 8, 2010

A New Approach...


Well after four starts on these Tolstoy socks, I needed a new approach. My first pair was too loose. (I learned that an Addi #2 is like a US 2.5. oops. )My second pair I tried to use the same color for both socks. Big mistake. My third pair I used my original two colors but striped them so I would only have to do one pair and have a set of fraternal twins. Unfortunately, while they looked great together in the skein, once they knitted up and the colors separated a bit, I didn't like the striping effect. :( So I had to start again. This many starts made me critically review the way I was casting on. I had been casting all the stitches on to two separate needles and then slipping them alternately onto the working needle. BIG PAIN. So I came up with a new way to cast on that I think is easier and faster and makes you look like a pro. It takes a little practice, much like learning to knit backwards did, but it's worth the effort....check out my youtube video "the Mrs. Adrian cast on" to see how it works. I apologize for the video quality. We're having a little too much fun with a little too little quality. haha. They don't call us Crazy Girl for nothing.

So I'm feeling much better about this approach to knitting socks now. I can't say I quite love it yet but I'm starting to realize the advantages. I think it's winning me over slowly but I won't cast my vote until I pass the heel. Until next time...